Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Possum Trot 10K

This weekend, George and I ran the Possum Trot 10K.

Neither of us had been doing speed work, so we had no idea what to expect.

This course is a flat one, with a few painful hills between miles 5 and6. I ran my 10K PR here, which is right at :49, but I knew I had no chance of that Saturday. I have done no speed work, I am 6 weeks out of St.George, and I had a big but great training week.

So over spaghetti (Friday night thing at our house!), we discussed our goals. George was hoping for around :37, and I wanted to be under :56.

We show up to the race, pick up our numbers, and get going to the start. We start going. I hit mile one at 8:20, which I was sure I could not maintain, so I tried to settle in a little. There was a long out and back, so I saw the leader way out front, and then I saw George in a pack of four behind him. I gathered my energy to cheer for him and then kept on going. I kept up the pace pretty well, and when I hit those last couple of hills, I was sure I was going to toss my cookies. Fortunately, cookies stayed in place, and I finished in 53:46! Yippie! Not lightening fast,but SO much faster than I have been running. George finished 4th overall in 34:56, which was first in his age group by a long shot.

This was not the most comfortable race, but that is good for me. I need to push myself some in a few shorter things, so that I get a little snappier in the longer stuff!

Next weekend is a 5K swim race!



Here's George with his medal! I am always SO proud of him at races! He is SO fast! Watch out Cozumel!

2 comments:

  1. Yay! Kacie, that's awesome... you both hit your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoo hoo! That's awesome!! Way to race!! :D

    ReplyDelete