Monday, June 27, 2011

Double Race Report


This weekend, I raced in two races.

The first one was the Indian Springs Sprint Tri. More importantly than my race, it was George's first Triathlon! I don't have pictures since we were both racing.

We got registered, set up transition, said hello to Joshua, my teammate, and Shannon and Laura, George's teammate and wife. Then, I headed to the bathroom, and came back while everyone was chatting. We were about to walk to the lake when I realized that I didn't have my cap and goggle anymore. I start looking around transition. Keep looking....keep looking...and then I realize....

Here comes the most disgusting thing that has ever happened to be in a race. You might not want to read if you get easily grossed out.

I realized that they were in my back pocket when I went to the bathroom. So I went back the the port o pottie. Hoping no one had used that one (right!)...a guy walks out....I walk in....PLEASE be on the floor....and there is my cap. In the hole of the port o pottie. I know my goggles are INSIDE the cap. I don't have any more goggles. This is supposed to be George's day, not my day to have a crisis. Oh God. Before I allowed myself to consider what i was even doing, I reached in the the hole, grabbed the cap, ran out, got my goggles out from inside the cap where they were pretty much protected (I am buying new ones anyway), thew away the cap, washed the goggles, and got a new race cap--and I managed not to throw up the whole time.

George appreciated me doing something that would distract him and his nerves :-) Yeah, that's it....I totally did it on purpose to help my husband...yeah...that's it.

If you don't ever want to be my friend after reading that story, I understand. I know. I am so still grossed out.

******Deep breath******

Time to race. The good people at 1st Choice Healthcare who sponsored the race, gave me an entry, so I was able to race side by side with George. It was a 600yd swim with a long run to transition, a 14.5 mile ride, and a hilly 5K.

My goals were to 1. Have a good time 2. Not be terrible and 3. Not get too exhausted since I had a race the next day and it was a bigger one.

George's goals were to 1. Not be the last swimmer in out of the water and 2. Have some of the fastest bike and run time in the whole race.

All in all, every goal was accomplished. I finished 4th in my age group. 2nd and 3rd and 4th were all within a minute. I didn't really have the mental focus or the physical desire to try to really race. So I was 4th. Again. (I am always 4th :-(....one day I will be third....it's going to happen!!!).

Here is George's tweet after the race. He ran a sub 18 minute 5K on a very hilly course. Watch out as these swimming lessons progress.

I am so incredibly proud of him for having a great sense of humor about the whole thing. He is going to be great, and I am SO proud that he got out there and went for it, even though he is really just learning his swim stroke. 2nd in the novice division!!!!!

****************************************************************************

Race #2

Sunday, we went to Hiawasse, GA for the Ridges 5K swim, which is actually 3.25 miles :-) This is the third time I have done this swim. The first year, I did it in 2:22, and got kind of lost. Last year, I did it in 2:01:57. I wasn't feeling totally ready, but hey, George wasn't feeling ready yesterday, and he did it anyway....so off I went.

First of all, I was VERY careful in the bathroom.

Then we jumped in the water and went for it.
hhif.jpg

9ylc.jpg

This race has grown tremendously since the first time I did it.

I really tried to stay a bit more focused, and I only really got tired/bored/frustrated between 1:20-1:30, then I was able to rally and finish well.

I finished in 1:54:58....happy with continuing to improve!

So that was our eventful weekend :-)

4 comments:

  1. Way to rally and stay tough!! Great job on your PR! Also, I used to ALWAYS be 4th, it's frustrating and funny at the same time :D You are only getting stronger, you've got 1st in your future!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY!! Congrats all the way around! Once George gets his gills, the other guys better watch out!!

    I won't even mention the porta-potty incident...the things we do for this sport!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! You make me laugh, Kacie! Congrats to both you and George on a good weekend! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha - oh your poor cap! Way to control your gag reflex and be a rock star! Congrats on a good weekend :)

    ReplyDelete